On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
[ ...about the "uptime" command... ]
This is great, except that it does not tell me what "0.5" means? Example:

1:41PM  up 5 days,  2:22, 4 users, load averages: 0.36, 0.42, 0.51

The only referenced material in the man page is w(1) which tells this:

> The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the run queue averaged over 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

What are those "jobs"? I guess they are not processes. What is that "run queue"? Which is better, the lower or the higher number?

A job is a runnable process. The run queue is a list containing the processes which are runnable at a particular time. Lower numbers indicate lower CPU load. From "man getloadavg":

DESCRIPTION
The getloadavg() function returns the number of processes in the system run queue averaged over various periods of time. Up to nelem samples are retrieved and assigned to successive elements of loadavg[]. The system imposes a maximum of 3 samples, representing averages over the last 1, 5,
     and 15 minutes, respectively.

--
-Chuck