On Mar 29, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Andrew Falanga wrote:
Both drives are similar in capability. They are both 7200 rpm drives, etc.
So what is so much different about NTFS from FFS?

All sorts of things.  :-)

Are the file systems
really that different that MS's system is simply dog slow, or is the format for FreeBSD skipping some "integrity" checks on the surface of the drive or whatever (this assumes that the MS install process is actually doing this).

The Windows format is probably doing a bad sector scan and testing each and every sector during the format. The Unix newfs/mkfs doesn't perform bad-sector checking, but you can invoke things like the smartmon utilities to perform disk checking later on.

Please understand, I intend only to find the answer to the question with this. I'm looking for starting a "war" about who's file system rocks more than the other. The idea of an integrity check was just speculation between
my colleague and I because there such a speed difference in formatting
things (once windows is installed) when choosing between a "Quick Format" or
a "Full Format".

A "quick format" is the Windows equivalent of what newfs does, yes.

P.S. on a side note, but related to this, in what directories under the system sources will I find the source code for the FFS used by FreeBSD, and
how are those modules structured?

See:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/ufs/ufs/

...versus other filesystems found here: