On 29/03/2007 6:41 AM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 05:26:49PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Just bought a new WD SATA drive: WDC WD5000YS-01MPB1 09.02E09

Tried to disklabel it, and it gives me all kinds of warnings when I look at it after running the disklabel:

ganymede# bsdlabel -w ad4s1 auto
ganymede# bsdlabel ad4s1c
# /dev/ad4s1c:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 976767986       79    unused        0     0
c: 976768002 63 unused 0 0 # "raw" part, don't edit
partition a: partition extends past end of unit
partition c: partition extends past end of unit
bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system utilities

Even if I try to use /stand/sysinstall to do the fdisk, the end result has 'issues' ...

So, what is the generally accepted method of label'ng a new drive? :(

I learned a useful trick the other day: you can use abbreviations like
"1g", also '*' to mean "automatically calculate".  See the manpage.

This timely thread came as I was experimenting with disklabel, and I noticed in the man page it says this:

    offset  The offset of the start of the partition from the beginning of
            the drive in sectors, or * to have bsdlabel calculate the correct
            offset to use (the end of the previous partition plus one, ignor-
            ing partition `c'.  For partition `c', * will be interpreted as
            an offset of 0.  The first partition should start at offset 16,
            because the first 16 sectors are reserved for metadata.

When I tried using "16" as the offset for my 'a' partition, I could no longer user "*" on my last partition to make it auto-size... disklabel then sized the partition so it went past the end of the disk. Presumably it's not taking into account the starting offset when it does this (gm0 is a 3gb gmirror device, with a single slice created on it using fdisk):

    $ bsdlabel -R /dev/mirror/gm0s1 /dev/stdin
    8 partitions:
      a:  2097152       16    4.2BSD
      b:   102400        *      swap
      c:        *        0    unused
      d:   102400        *    4.2BSD
      e:        *        *    4.2BSD
    partition e: partition extends past end of unit

However if I change the 'a' partition offset to 'e', it works:

    $ bsdlabel -R /dev/mirror/gm0s1 /dev/stdin
    8 partitions:
      a:  2097152        0    4.2BSD
      b:   102400        *      swap
      c:        *        0    unused
      d:   102400        *    4.2BSD
      e:        *        *    4.2BSD
    $ disklabel /dev/mirror/gm0s1
    # /dev/mirror/gm0s1:
    8 partitions:
    #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
      a:  2097152        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0
      b:   102400  2097152      swap
      c:  6281352        0    unused        0     0         # "raw"
      d:   102400  2199552    4.2BSD        0     0     0
      e:  3979400  2301952    4.2BSD        0     0     0

Is it important to use 16 as the offset still, or is this a historical piece of information that is no longer relevant? Or is this is a bug in disklabel that should be fixed?

--Antony