to test the behavior of both buildworld and updating ports with portupgrade, i
started my project over, and rebuilt my jail host as FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE.
within this, i configured 2 jails, and installed various ports that i run on
other production systems (actually, i installed from a ports tree that i
cvsup'd with date 2007.01.01.01.01.01, so that i could legitimately test
upgrading to todays copy).  today, i cvsup'd the sources on the host to
6.2-RELEASE-p3, and built world.  i installed world, and rebooted, but did not
update either of the jails, just to see what would happen with the host running
p3, and the jails running RELEASE.  to my surprise, both jails were running p3
when the host came back up.

so what am i missing about jail theory here?  how did that kernel get into my
jails if i did not install it?  what about the rest of userland?  at what
version should i expect that to be at, at this point?

thanks,
jonathan