On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:47:10AM +0200, JCBotha wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> I am new to this operating system and became interested when I started to
> look at a solution for a network set-up. I do not know if I will be able to
> master this OS because I grew up with Windows and know nothing about UNIX OS
> systems. With windows I at least can help myself and find my way around.
>
> I need to set up a server that host an Internet (POP3) connection for three
> different networks that must not be able to communicate with one other. Top
> security is needed. The reason is this is a Teachers training collage, the
> one network is for the admin department and another for the staff and lastly
> the student network. Just by the way, will this modem connection be able to
> handle about 30 computers on the network. I know that an ISDN connection
> will be better but presently we do not have anything ells. The server that I
> would like to set up should be able to record all student activities in the
> sense to monitor the web pages visited and the printing that  has been done
> plus to forbid certain printings such as web pages.
>
> What do you suggest me to do, start from scratch and study a UNIX system or
> face the Windows server package.
>
> Yours truly
>
> JC Botha

There is a tremendous amount of online documentation for FreeBSD (and
many other UNIX derivative systems).  The first place to start is
usually the FreeBSD Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
(it's in other langs than English if you need them).  Also, the
documentation that comes with each FreeBSD in the form of what are
called "man" pages (manual pages) is very extensive and quite easy to
use.  For more places on which to get help check out:
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html.  Of course, there are always support
forums like this one (freebsd-question), as well as a couple of news
groups.  There may very well be a FreeBSD users group near you as well.

Per your own words, I suggest you start from scratch and study a UNIX
system.  You will not regret the decision down the road.  You may find
the learning curve somewhat steep if you have no familiarity with
working at a command line.  However, once you hammer out some of the
basics and begin to become proficient you will probably start to find MS
Windows intolerably imposing and restrictive.

Good luck,
Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C