On 3/30/2007 8:28 AM Josh Carroll said the following:

So why does du report only 2.0 GB of usage while df reports over 6 GB?
Where has my storage gone?  Or do I not understand proper usage of du?

If you removed files that still had open file handles (e.g. from
/var/log), they are likely still allocated and showing up in df, but
not du since they're not on the filesystem anymore. Restart any
daemons that you removed log files for, and the space will "show up".
Or a simple reboot should fix things.

Thanks for your reply. It appears that I had pf do some NAT logging to /var/log/alias.log. Although I deleted that file, I had not restarted pf. A 'pfctl -d' followed with a 'pfctl -e' and a little time seems to have restored my disk space according to df..

blacksheep# df -h
Filesystem          Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a         721M     98M    565M    15%    /
devfs               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/stripe/user    6.4G    2.0G    3.9G    34%    /usr
devfs               1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /usr/var/named/dev

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!