Jonathan Horne wrote:
well, wikipedia says this (something that i just now learned about standard
pentium4 line of processors)
[wikipedia]
HyperThreading was present in all Northwood CPUs, but was disabled in the core
in all but the 3.06 GHz model.
[/wikipedia]

That's not true. I have a 2.6 GHz Northwood, and it supports HyperThreading (however I'm not running FreeBSD on it, so I can't help you with SMP). You can use the Intel Processor Spec Finder (http://processorfinder.intel.com/) to discover the capabilities of your CPU, but I think the "HTT" that appears in the dmesg output stands for Hyper Threading Technology.