Tommy Scheunemann wrote:
I'm running 2 server, one with FreeBSD and one with Linux. Now I want to synchronize data between the 2 servers, over the internet so using NFS isn't a solution at all. Are there other possible ways of doing it ? AFS still seems in a development state and Rsync over SSH might be another possible way of doing it - would be just good if everything runs in background without any interaction.

rsync+ssh via cron every night works OK, at least if file changes are only being made on one system and not in parallel on both machines.

If you want to do filesharing over the Internet, using a VPN such as OpenVPN with NFS or Samba works fine, too. It's easier to get Samba to pay attention to only the VPN address if you want to improve security; with NFS, you pretty much have to set up a firewall to contain it.

--
-Chuck