At 12:36 PM 4/5/2007, Jonathan Horne wrote:
currently, my email server is just a single box, accepting and sending emails
from and to the internet.  spamassassin and sendmail, and so far, it works
satisfactory.

i would like to change it up, so that i have a pair of servers doing MX from the internet, which then passes to an internal server for delivery. if i do that, i
could remove spamassassin from the internal server, and run it on just the 2
external.  all those configurations is really not my issue here... what im
really pondering is how would external servers that are seperate from where the target mailboxes are, know which addressess are acceptable and which to return a
550?

does anyone have any setups that are similar to this, and could advise me or
point me in the right direction?

thanks,
jonathan

Generally you want to filter and bounce mail at the point of origin, so your mail server that first accepts the mail. As long as you have the bandwidth on that server you would spam check, virus check there, bouncing any bad ones. Then forward to your internal server only clean mail for delivery.

However unless you have terribly underpowered servers, or a lot of email (like >50,000 messages a day) running on two servers should not be necessary.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.