Jerry McAllister wrote:

I noticed one grammatical thing of question. In the first paragraph under "Use ssh instead of Telnet or rsh/rlogin" it says
  "they should never be used to administrate a machine over a network,"

I think the word should be 'administer' instead of 'administrate' unless this is some sort of British thing. I know, picky picky, but
it just stood out to me as I was reading.
10 years ago you might have been correct. An old dictionary on the shelf does not list "administrate". However both modern dictionaries I tried listed it with the same meaning as administer in it's "oversee" sense.

On-line, try, for example, WordNet http://wordnet.princeton.edu/ (web interface: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn). I can find over a dozen references with a google for "administrate meaning".

I can't find any etymology for this specific (and I would agree, in some sense wrong) form however it is clearly in common usage.

Language evolves, not always in ways that everyone likes. Administer is a perfectly good word, and there's no need for "administrate" to exist. But language skills being what they are, someone looks at "administration" and it's quite understandable how they get to a verb "administrate". C.f compensation, for example.

--Alex