On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 09:12:11AM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Garrett Cooper writes:
>
> >  Have you also considered tape backup as well as standard disks?
> >  Tapes are a bit more expensive, but overall a more static backup
> >  / archiving solution than disks. Besides, they're cheaper in the
> >  long run from what remember.
>
>       The problem is: tapes are slow; backing up 30 gbytes to a
> DLT-III used to take 3-4 hours.  Or rather the cost of a tape system
> seems to increase as the square of the transfer speed; a (new) LTO-2
> drive will cost $1000+$35/tape.

LTO is pretty fast, though it doesn't seem to have the fast search
that was about the only thing I liked about DAT/DDS tape.  But
the cost of LTO for a home system is hard to swallow.  You could get
about a dozen USB drives to rotate for a similar cost.   Tapes are
nice for archiving or long term storage though.   Their data format
seems less likely to change over time than disk.

////jerry