Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:28:34AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

I thought I might also mention a potential "sudo"-shortcoming. :-D

See:
http://bsdwiki.reedmedia.net/wiki/Recognize_basic_recommended_access_methods.html

Where I wrote about a "quoting problem" that occasionally confuses
newbs like me.

Finally got around to reading the wiki page.   It is good.
I noticed one grammatical thing of question. In the first paragraph under "Use ssh instead of Telnet or rsh/rlogin" it says
   "they should never be used to administrate a machine over a network,"

I think the word should be 'administer' instead of 'administrate' unless this is some sort of British thing. I know, picky picky, but
it just stood out to me as I was reading.

I'll look into that.  I churned out a lot of text, so if that's all
you saw, Jeremy must have had his lucky shirt on. ;-)

Also, ;-)  nothing would prevent you from signing up and making such
a change yourself.  I'm sure the book could benefit from your wisdom.

Also, although telnet is a hole nowdays for logging in to a system with
an id and password for the very reasons you have given,  it still has
a use.   You can use it to easily poke at a port and check the response
to see if something is up and working.   Of course, in that case you
would probably not be sending an id and password, just some common
handshaking strings that don't reveal any secrets to anyone. This is really a different issue from what was the OP or the intent
of the wiki article, of course.

Right; the intent, as I see it, is to pound through people's (potential
new *BSD system admins) heads the fact that you don't use telnet for
remote logins/remote shell work.

KDK
--
Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention
        Unless the results are known in advance,