When I fire up mozilla, firefox, OO-2.1.0, and whatever else,
        I'll see this to stdout:

          pe 16:37 <tao> [5433] mozilla
          Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
          Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/db/fontconfig</cachedir>
          Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

        I've got a seriously old, severely cheep CD with 1500 fonts, plus
        hundreds more I've gleaned that are free.  I've clicked around on
        firefox and mozilla but have no idea how to find, much less:
        "Check configuration."

        I've read  the html in /usr/X11R6/share/doc/fonconfig, but don't
        see any {/usr/local}/etc/fonts directory.  [???]

        Can anybody clue me in?

        gary