R. B. Riddick wrote:

> Sounds like rsync can already do that (I am not sure right now, if rsync can
> find updated areas within a large file, or if it just copies the while updated
> file even if it is a large one)...

rsync will find an updated area within a big file.  The algorithm is to
divide any such file into 100kB[*] chunks, calculate checksums of each of
those chunks and only transfer the chunks where the checksum differs
between source and destination.  More detail here:

    http://samba.org/rsync/how-rsync-works.html
    http://rsync.samba.org/tech_report/tech_report.html

        Cheers,

        Matthew