At 10:28 AM 4/10/2007, Thiago Esteves de Oliveira wrote:
Hello,

I want to use the chroot/jail mechanism in user's ssh and sftp connections. I've read some tutorials and possible solutions to jail/chroot the users into their own home directories. One is to install the openssh-portable(with chroot option turned on) from the ports collection.

I've installed the openssh-portable, but the jail/chroot mechanism didn't work. I think it requires some configuration in its sshd_config file, but I'm not sure because I have
found nothing about jail/chroot in the openssh(sshd_config) man pages.

I have implemented a similar setup using vsftpd from the ports. It works well for secure ftp when used with the filezilla client. You can limit the ftp command in the vsftpd configuration file so users cannot get out of their home directories, which chroots them there. You do need to add one thing to the accounts, which is to change their home directory in /etc/passwd adding an additional dot. For instance if a users home directory is:
/home/user

You'd need to change it to:
/home/./user

vsftpd is well documented and relatively easy to get setup and running.

        -Derek

believed to be clean.