Boy, do I want answers too!

We have HD's that run 24X7. And I don't want to turn them off, I just want them to sleep quietly until needed. We have lot's of RAM, thus plenty of cache space.

Our machines are all blades. (Does this matter? I don't know.) IBMs and Super-Micros.

We spend zillions of bucks on electricity; We use these machines 24X7 now, but soon will only need them about 12 hours a day. Is 24X7 operation the optimal strategy?

What's the best course here, wrt electric costs, and wrt disk failures?

--jg