On 5/04/2007 1:52 AM, Alexander Anderson wrote:
Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 08:52:44 AM, Antony Mawer wrote:
I have Intel D975XBX2 with two on-board SATA RAID controllers: one is Intel
Matrix and the other is Marvell storage. I have FreeBSD 6.2 with RAID-5
using Intel Matrix Storage. It seems to work fine.
You may want to re-think that option... according to the ataraid(4) man page, RAID5 is not functional (ie. you have about as much data safety as a RAID0 stripe set does):

CAVEATS
    RAID5 is not supported at this time.  Code exists, but it neither uses
    nor maintains parity information.

The ataraid driver provides *software* RAID. But doesn't Intel Matrix
Storage gives *hardware* RAID support? How could I tell if software is at
play?

I'm fairly certain that all ar# devices (ar0, etc) are ataraid-powered, and thus are software RAID. If it is a hardware RAID device, typically the RAID controller presents a single drive (or one drive for each RAID volume) to the OS, and the OS can be ignorant of the number of underlying drives.

Also, from man ataraid:

     The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats:

     o   Intel MatrixRAID

Which suggests that is is, indeed, just a software RAID setup. That is, the BIOS-based bit just writes configuration metadata to the drives, and its up to drivers at the OS level to perform the actual RAID operations using that data.

--Antony