On 12/04/07, Chris Hesselrode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My friend took out a hard disk we had in a computer, that ran an
internal web server, threw it in a new box, as a secondary drive. Now
that I've smacked him around a bit, and put it back in the original
box, it won't boot. When doing an fsck it comes back with:

mount reload of '/' failed: No such file or directory

Can't stat /dev/ad6s1e: No such file or directory (6 times ... with
different ending letters)

How can I fix this?

In the /dev there are only:

ad4
ad4s1
ad4s1a
ad4s1b
ad4s1c
ad4s1d
ad4s1e
ad4s1f

It seems to me that your fstab is expecting
/dev/ad6* and the drive is now on /dev/ad4.
You might be able to plug it into another
controller and have it work.

Otherwise you will have to go through the tedium
of passing the root device to the boot loader[1],
booting into single user mode, fsck-ing by device
number, mount /dev/ad6s1a /, editing the /etc/fstab,
and continuing the boot from there.

[1] I am not certain you need to do this.