On 4/13/07, Mikhail Goriachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Drew wrote:
> I have a 6 stable box that I cvsup'd at around 5:15am central US time
this
> morning. I did a buildworld and buildkernel on it after checking the
> UPDATING file and finding nothing since 6.2 release, ran mergemaster and
> rebooted, so I was a little surprised when it never came back. Once I
gained
> physical access to the box, I discovered it had no apparent ability to
open
> a sock - neither unix, nor udp nor tcp. I can ping localhost, but not
other
> IP's on my network. X tells me host.domain.name:0 is a bad display name.
So
> I need to know how to get things back up and running. Is this a known
> problem that has been fixed, or have I stumbled across something no one
else
> has seen? As a side note, I have to give major props to all the
developers -
> it sounds like my situation is really bad, but this is the first major
> problem I've had in over 7 years of tracking -STABLE of one version or
> another. Let me know if I can just cvsup another 6-stable box and burn
it to
> a disc and copy it off on here, or what I need to do to fix this,
because
> I'm lost. For the record:
>
> mergemaster -p
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> make installworld
> make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> mergemaster -a
> reboot
>
> came up with no sockets. At this point:
>
> rm -rf /usr/obj
> make clean
> make buildworld ...etc - still no sockets.

The proper upgrading procedure is described in /usr/src/Makefile
(starting from line ~41). Also check the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

By executing "mergemaster -a" you don't actually merge the files. This
may not update important files.

If you're using customised kernel, then probably you took something
important out of it. Try GENERIC to rule this one out.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, I had to go back and read my message to see what was there. I've
never used -a in my life, and I can only blame that not being a -v on all
the trouble I'm having with the keyboard on my wife's laptop. I don't know
how she types on this thing. But I'm building a generic kernel and we'll try
that.