On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

"Claude Menski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?

I like Ubuntu too.  If you want a desktop OS that Just Works and
doesn't require a lot of time to configure and keep up-to-date, it's a
good choice.

On the server side, however, I find that it is FreeBSD rather than
Linux which Just Works and lets you do excatly what you want without
any fuss.  I find that once you get into the little details, Linux is
an appalling mess of disparate components thrown together with no
apparent plan or purpose.  It gets even worse when you start looking
into the kernel source...  No abstraction, no modularization, and very
little consistency.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors Dag-Erling's observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI switching to FreeBSD around 3.5. I think it is also true that depending on your hardware a FreeBSD workstation or laptop can be a bit of a challenge. For me, coming from mainframe-land, I learned more about FreeBSD and Unix from having to solve these problems and/or work around old hardware than I ever would have just administering my server farm.