On 4/14/07, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Drew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A little more on this, because now I am really stumped. I have taken
known
> good source, and moved it via CD to this machine. I rebuilt, and it
exhibits
> exactly the same behavior, with both my kernel, and GENERIC. Pinging an
IP
> on my lan results in ping: sendto: host is down. There are no active
> firewalls on this machine. When I ping another IP on the network,
activity
> happens on the switch. I have swapped NIC's to a known working one from
> another machine, and it behaves identically. I have changed ports on the
> switch. About the only thing I haven't done is reinstall (which reminds
me,
> I have a Freesbie disc around here somewhere to try) - but I'd rather
that
> was a last resort. Meaning I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have
> about this.

I'm coming to this thread a little late, so I apologize if this
information has already been passed around.

Can you provide ifconfig -a, netstat -m, netstat -s, netstat -rn output
on the troubled system.

ifconfig -a:
sis0: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       options=8<VLAN_MTU>
       ether 00:a0:cc:73:64:69
       media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
       status: active
nve0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       ether 00:15:f2:7f:80:86
       media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <half-duplex>)
       status: active
plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
       inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
       inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

(note the sis0 has no configuration in the system we are talking about,
that's the working test card I installed, and what I'm using with Freesbie,
as it doesn't seem to know about the nve0)

netstat -m:
130/395/525 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
128/146/274/25600 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
128/128 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)
0/0/0/0 4k (page size) jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/0 9k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
0/0/0/0 16k jumbo clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
288K/390K/679K bytes allocated to network (current/cache/total)
0/0/0 requests for mbufs denied (mbufs/clusters/mbuf+clusters)
0/0/0 requests for jumbo clusters denied (4k/9k/16k)
0/5/6656 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
0 requests for sfbufs denied
0 requests for sfbufs delayed
0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
0 calls to protocol drain routines

netstat -s:
tcp:
       0 packets sent
               0 data packets (0 bytes)
               0 data packets (0 bytes) retransmitted
               0 data packets unnecessarily retransmitted
               0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
               0 ack-only packets (0 delayed)
               0 URG only packets
               0 window probe packets
               0 window update packets
               0 control packets
       3 packets received
               0 acks (for 0 bytes)
               0 duplicate acks
               0 acks for unsent data
               0 packets (0 bytes) received in-sequence
               0 completely duplicate packets (0 bytes)
               0 old duplicate packets
               0 packets with some dup. data (0 bytes duped)
               0 out-of-order packets (0 bytes)
               0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
               0 window probes
               0 window update packets
              0 packets received after close
               0 discarded for bad checksums
               0 discarded for bad header offset fields
               0 discarded because packet too short
       0 connection requests
       0 connection accepts
       0 bad connection attempts
       0 listen queue overflows
       0 ignored RSTs in the windows
       0 connections established (including accepts)
       5 connections closed (including 0 drops)
               0 connections updated cached RTT on close
               0 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
               0 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
       0 embryonic connections dropped
       0 segments updated rtt (of 0 attempts)
       0 retransmit timeouts
               0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
       0 persist timeouts
               0 connections dropped by persist timeout
       0 keepalive timeouts
               0 keepalive probes sent
               0 connections dropped by keepalive
       0 correct ACK header predictions
       0 correct data packet header predictions
       0 syncache entries added
               0 retransmitted
               0 dupsyn
               0 dropped
               0 completed
               0 bucket overflow
               0 cache overflow
               0 reset
               0 stale
               0 aborted
               0 badack
               0 unreach
               0 zone failures
       0 cookies sent
       0 cookies received
       0 SACK recovery episodes
       0 segment rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
       0 byte rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
       0 SACK options (SACK blocks) received
       0 SACK options (SACK blocks) sent
       0 SACK scoreboard overflow
udp:
       9 datagrams received
       0 with incomplete header
       0 with bad data length field
       0 with bad checksum
       0 with no checksum
       4 dropped due to no socket
       0 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
       0 dropped due to full socket buffers
       0 not for hashed pcb
       5 delivered
       36 datagrams output
ip:
       554 total packets received
       0 bad header checksums
       0 with size smaller than minimum
       0 with data size < data length
       0 with ip length > max ip packet size
       0 with header length < data size
       0 with data length < header length
       0 with bad options
       0 with incorrect version number
       0 fragments received
       0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
       0 fragments dropped after timeout
       0 packets reassembled ok
       12 packets for this host
       0 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
       0 packets forwarded (0 packets fast forwarded)
       510 packets not forwardable
       32 packets received for unknown multicast group
       0 redirects sent
       46 packets sent from this host
       0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
       0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
       0 output packets discarded due to no route
       0 output datagrams fragmented
       0 fragments created
       0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
       0 tunneling packets that can't find gif
       0 datagrams with bad address in header
icmp:
       4 calls to icmp_error
       0 errors not generated in response to an icmp message
       Output histogram:
               destination unreachable: 4
       0 messages with bad code fields
       0 messages < minimum length
       0 bad checksums
       0 messages with bad length
       0 multicast echo requests ignored
       0 multicast timestamp requests ignored
       0 message responses generated
       0 invalid return addresses
       0 no return routes
       ICMP address mask responses are disabled
igmp:
       0 messages received
       0 messages received with too few bytes
       0 messages received with bad checksum
       0 membership queries received
       0 membership queries received with invalid field(s)
       0 membership reports received
       0 membership reports received with invalid field(s)
       0 membership reports received for groups to which we belong
       0 membership reports sent
ip6:
       0 total packets received
       0 with size smaller than minimum
       0 with data size < data length
       0 with bad options
       0 with incorrect version number
       0 fragments received
       0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
       0 fragments dropped after timeout
       0 fragments that exceeded limit
       0 packets reassembled ok
       0 packets for this host
       0 packets forwarded
       0 packets not forwardable
       0 redirects sent
       6 packets sent from this host
       0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
       0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
       0 output packets discarded due to no route
       0 output datagrams fragmented
       0 fragments created
       0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
       0 packets that violated scope rules
       0 multicast packets which we don't join
       Mbuf statistics:
               0 one mbuf
             0 one ext mbuf
               0 two or more ext mbuf
       0 packets whose headers are not continuous
       0 tunneling packets that can't find gif
       0 packets discarded because of too many headers
       0 failures of source address selection
       0 forward cache hit
       0 forward cache miss
       Source addresses selection rule applied:
icmp6:
       0 calls to icmp6_error
       0 errors not generated in response to an icmp6 message
       0 errors not generated because of rate limitation
       Output histogram:
               multicast listener report: 6
       0 messages with bad code fields
       0 messages < minimum length
       0 bad checksums
       0 messages with bad length
       Histogram of error messages to be generated:
               0 no route
               0 administratively prohibited
                           0 address unreachable
               0 port unreachable
               0 packet too big
               0 time exceed transit
               0 time exceed reassembly
               0 erroneous header field
               0 unrecognized next header
               0 unrecognized option
               0 redirect
               0 unknown
       0 message responses generated
       0 messages with too many ND options
       0 messages with bad ND options
       0 bad neighbor solicitation messages
       0 bad neighbor advertisement messages
       0 bad router solicitation messages
       0 bad router advertisement messages
       0 bad redirect messages
       0 path MTU changes
rip6:
       0 messages received
       0 checksum calcurations on inbound
       0 messages with bad checksum
       0 messages dropped due to no socket
       0 multicast messages dropped due to no socket
       0 messages dropped due to full socket buffers
       0 delivered
       0 datagrams output

netstat -rn:
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            192.168.1.4        UGS         0       10   nve0
192.168.1          link#2             UC          0        0   nve0
192.168.1.4        link#2             UHLW        2       36   nve0

Internet6:
Destination                       Gateway                       Flags
Netif
Expire
::1                               ::1                           UHL
lo0
fe80::%lo0/64                     fe80::1%lo0                   U
lo0
fe80::1%lo0                       link#4                        UHL
lo0
ff01:4::/32                       fe80::1%lo0                   UC
lo0
ff02::%lo0/32                     fe80::1%lo0                   UC
lo0

Lots of copying and pasting. Let me know if you have any questions about
anything else, but I think I explained the only thing that looked strange
(so maybe if there's something else strange, that's my problem....)