Chad Perrin wrote:
On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:17:20PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors
Dag-Erling's observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI
switching to FreeBSD around 3.5. I think it is also true that
depending on your hardware a FreeBSD workstation or laptop can be a
bit of a challenge.
My issues with FreeBSD as a desktop mostly come from the difficulty of
installing software and keeping it up-to-date: 'pkg_add -r' and
'portupgrade -aP' simply can't hold a candle to 'apt-get install' and
'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

What do you find lacking in the FreeBSD approach?  I'm a relatively
recent transplant from Debian, and my experience is that FreeBSD
provides better, more predictable, and more customizable results,
without increasing the difficulty or reducing the convenience at all.

Granted, I haven't really tried the package-based software management
options for FreeBSD in any depth -- I'm mostly installing from source at
this point -- but thus far I haven't any reason to expect package-based
installation to be any less easily managed than source-based installs.
Well, we have some problems sometimes with cyclic dependencies (portinstall / portupgrade and friends), and people aren't really happy when names of categories / packages get changed (like what's happened recently with the revision of some of the port names), because there's a bit more work involved 'fixing' everything back to the same state that there was before. People also complain that there aren't enough offerings in terms of packages, but that's a resources issue from what I understand.

Overall though, I do like FreeBSD's ports system better than I do debian's apt-get system :). Having to shuffle through all of those menus and pages package listings to install stuff was a pain.
-Garrett