Grant Peel wrote:
Last week I enabled DEFLATE in apache. I have since disabled it, due to it (I
think), sotting the serever load sky high.
Since disableing it, the server load has not decreased by much, but I have
narrowed it down to Apache (2.2) or mysqld that is shooting the load up.
The high server loads started last Monday morning, and continued all week.(up
and down through the days and nights).

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way (or a utility) that can monitor apache
and mysql at the domain level to help troublshoot where the root problem lies.

FreeBSD 6.2
Mysql 4.1.21
php 4.4.4

As for mysql, you can use databases/mytop for monitoring the performance of mysql database. Also you can use mysql logging options to check (like log-slow-queries etc.).

As for apache, there is pretty ExtendedStatus option and server-status location (see httpd.conf). Also sysutils/apachetop for monitoring the performance of apache server.

Note that both utilities are not for unattended use.

kind regards,
Martin Hudec