Any tips on how to make FreeBSD start with a GUI login screen?

I chose gnome and X-Windows in the install and they run in a weird limited way
if I start them up after logining in to a command line. But it doesn't start in
a way that allows a login to a GUI as the initial login screen.

Plus, when I try to execute xterm I get Can't open display even though I've set
DISPLAY and display environment variables to :0.0 and localhost:0.0 and
ip_address_of_box:0.0.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim