David Banning wrote:
I am using dovecot imap and I am having a problem directing mail to go to users in Maildir format when they do not have a login shell.

It seems that the .procmailrc file is ignored and the mail is put in mbox format into /var/mail

For mail-only users with-out a shell, what is the best way to direct
mail to them in Maildir format within ~/Maildir - maybe directly from
.forward?

Not an expert but I am just starting to think about moving from mbox to mdir on my home server, so Id be interested in how you get on.
man procmail says
If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line, proc- mail will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret commands from /usr/local/etc/procmailrc (if present). Care must be taken when creat- ing /usr/local/etc/procmailrc, because, if circumstances permit, it will be executed with root privileges (contrary to the $HOME/.proc-
      mailrc file of course).

So you may need to set the default location here.
Something like
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

Vince