On Apr 18, 2007, at 1:18 PMApr 18, 2007, Sean Murphy wrote:

I am looking to automate the process of backing up my Cisco routers and switches config files and have come across RANCID. Is this what I should use on my FreeBSD server or is there something better?

Thanks

I don't know anything about RANCID, but I recently used expect and a shell-script wrapper to do the backups on 3 Cisco routers. I just setup a TFTP server on our backup machine and punched the correct holes in the firewall. There's a command you can run on the router itself to send the config off to a remote system.

Additionally, the 'backup' is simply the same output you get when you run a show run command from the router's enable mode.

HTH

Eric Crist