"Murray Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto this machine and
> are running into a problem getting the operating system to recognise the
> RAID controller. As a result not finding any disks when it comes to
> installing the O/S.
>
> We have attempted various modifications to the boot process, including
> the loading of an "aac" module, which according to the BSD website,
> should provide support for this type of controller.

Excuse me for asking a stupid question, but did you define an array
before attempting to install FreeBSD?  The aac driver won't attach
individual disks, it will only attached defined arrays.

> When we attempt to boot to OS to install after making these above
> modifications, the boot loader advises that this module already appears
> to be loaded, which contradicts what I believe. In any respect, it
> doesn't work either way (with or without the module manually loaded).

The loader is correct, aac is included in GENERIC.

> One side note (which i don't think is contributing) is that when I
> attempt to start the boot loader with ACPI enabled, it freezes with the
> message "cpu id 38 too high". However if I boot the boot loader with
> ACPI disabled, this message dissapears. It _may_ be a possibility that a
> bi-product of disabling the ACPI is causing the RAID controller to have
> issues. This appears to be an issue because of the X4 CPU count ??

It appears the server uses non-consecutive CPU numbers, and we use a
static array with 32 slots, indexed by CPU number, to hold information
about the CPUs (or rather the local APICs they contain).

If you can either install without ACPI, or remove two of the CPUs
during installation, this should be fairly easy to fix: change the
definition of NLAPICS in /usr/src/sys/{amd64,i386}/acpica/madt.c and
rebuild your kernel, then boot with ACPI enabled and report back to
us.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]