Fernando Gleiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > > Accoding to ps, the truss process is in "disk wait" ("D"),
 > > but all disks are working perfectly fine, including the
 > > NFS-mounted filesystems.
 > >
 > > The process that had been trussed ("jws") doesn't run any-
 > > more (I had to kill it, using SIGKILL, I think).
 >
 > Welcome to NFS hell. That's why you should mount nfs-based filesystems
 > with the "-o intr" flag.

Are you saying that the problem would not have occured if I
had mounted the filesystems with "-o intr"?

It was my understanding that the -o intr only made a
difference when the NFS server ist not responding.
That's not the case here.

 > Are you sure you don't have any problem with
 > the NFS filesystems?

Yes, I am sure.

 > > Does anyone happen to have an idea how to get rid of the
 > > truss process?  I cannot reboot this machine.
 >
 > Check the NFS filesystems. If they are fine, you shouldn't have problems
 > killing it.

They _are_ fine.  They are served from a cluster of NetApp
filers over gigabit ethernet.  I'm working on them all day
long, and so do a bunch of co-workers, not to mention
several production services.  Everything is perfectly fine,
_except_ for that truss process.  I'm hesitant to try it
again, because I fear it'll leave more of those processes.

Regards
   Oliver