Dan Pelleg wrote:

"JCBotha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Dear Sir

I am new to this operating system and became interested when I started to
look at a solution for a network set-up. I do not know if I will be able to
master this OS because I grew up with Windows and know nothing about UNIX OS
systems. With windows I at least can help myself and find my way around.

Hi,
I started a few month ago, and I honestly don't regret my decision! FreeBSD is great! For your information, I knew nothing abut UNIX OSes two!
Do yourself a favour, try it!

I had no *NIX OS knowledge at all, I thought I would start with Linux but I honestly gave up! What I didn't like about it is that every single Distribution had it's own directory structure and startup scripts etc! When I was posting questions at a mailing List I received answers covering Red hat or other distribution and that was confusing for me as a beginner!

FreeBSD is well structured and it is explained why and where to find what! Very very very important! You will see.. :-))

I would recommand the following books in order of preference:
1a) The FreeBSD Handbook - if your are not sure about choosing FreeBSD or not first have a look at the online version of the book (see the link below)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
2) Unix Power Tools 3rd editions (which was revised and covers FreeBSD, it will give you Unix base knowledge)
3) FreeBSD Unleashed (it is really good book, and covers a little bit of everything)
4) Absolute BSD (it is a really great book but may be to difficult as a starter)

Good luck! Simply give it a try, you will see after some training and reading you will fall love it!
Didier