Message: 15
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:11:58 +0300
From: Apatewna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP only detects one CPU - help?
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Maybe you should use FreeBSD more often :)

Absolutely. I'm using it more and more. It's my goal to become completely free of certain operating systems beginning with W and other commercial software. I haven't had the guts to plunge straight into FreeBSD, but I'm gradually achieving my goal by parallel upgrades.

As of FreeBSD 6.2 RELEASE, SMP systems are correctly detected and the SMP kernel is used, no need to rebuild kernel. I have such an old hardware arround (Dual [EMAIL PROTECTED]) and 6.2 RELEASE loaded the SMP kernel as expected. Same thing on shiny new Core2Duo machines.

Try a reinstall, if this a testing machine and you'll notice that the SMP kernel is loaded by default, unless some other strange hardware problem exists.

I didn't know that. How handy. Actually I'm not sure how "options SMP" got in my kernel config file. It's not an old kernel config file and this is my first SMP system. Oh well.
 so
I like to have several kernels in my /boot anyway - kernel, kernel.old, kernel.generic and kernel.debug. I don't like to run kernel.generic knowing there's lots of stuff in there I'm just not using, and I like having kernel.debug around so I can backtrace kernel panics.

I'll have a go with all my kernels, see if one of them boots the unusable AP. I'm off for a couple of weeks though, so I might not respond for a while.

Thanks,
Adam J Richardson