On Apr 23, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Andrew Fremantle wrote:
With all the configurations I've tried, emails are rejected by my smarthost with an error like "sender address [EMAIL PROTECTED] invalid; domain does not exist".

What I'd like to do is find a way to alter sendmail's perception of my hostname. Ideally, this would only affect sendmail and nothing else.

The reason emails from root are being exposed using the real hostname is because of this:

# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host, even if we masquerade # class L: names that should be delivered locally, even if we have a relay
  # class M: domains that should be converted to $M
  # class N: domains that should not be converted to $M
  #CL root
  C{E}root

...in sendmail.cf. Remove root from this C{E} line and you should be all set.

However, if you want to explicitly set your hostname in sendmail, change this:

  # my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
  #Dj$w.Foo.CO

...to:

  Djmyhost.example.com

...or whatever you like.