Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

[snip...]

Greylisting works because many, and I'd like to say most, spam programs
never retry message delivery.

Actually, no.  Greylisting works because it delays the spam injector
long enough that the injector will get blacklisted by the time that the
greylist opens the door for the mail to come in.  Greylisting alone
by itself is getting less and less effective every day.  Spammers are now
starting to setup spam injectors to retry.  If you think about it, it is
very easy to program.  Simply create a list of victims, iterate through
the list once, deleting all the victims that accept, then wait several
hours and iterate through the list again.  It didn't take a rocket scientist
to figure that one out.

Since SA has a lot of the major blacklist servers as score-feeders, the
spam that gets past the greylist just gets tagged by SA.


When I scan my maillogs I find that 22% of the hosts that generate a greylisting entry retry the mail delivery and thus get whitelisted. The other 78% don't attempt redelivery within the greylisting window. The reason that I'm using greylisting is to reduce the load on SA so I can continue to use spam bayes. Quite honestly spam bayes is either the most or second most effective spam filtering technique that I'm using but its a CPU hog.

If I had to rank the effectiveness of the filtering that I'm doing I would say that greylisting is probably the most effective. I'm using spamd with tarpitting and that alone is responsible for filtering 90% of my spam. Spam bayes is probably second but I haven't counted the number of messages that are getting filed as spam based on the bayes classifier.

Some numbers from crunching my combined maillogs (primary and secondary mx) from Apr 24th 20:00:00 ~ Apr 25th 20:00:00.

1566 hosts generated 1907 connections to my primary and secondary MXers.

155 hosts generated 192 greylisting entries on either one or both of my mailservers.

34 hosts attempted to retry mail generating 40 whitelist transactions on one or both of my mailservers.

-- Chris

      __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
___(*)/_(*)___________________________________________________________
Christopher Sean Hilton                      chris | at | vindaloo.com

                  pgp: f5:30:0a:54:e1:55:76:9b:1f:47:0b:07:e9:75:0e:14

_______________________________________________
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to