On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

--On Wednesday, April 25, 2007 15:29:04 -0400 Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:15:03PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
No kidding. That professor should have his Wikipedia account banned, and the head of his department should be informed of his vandalism. I don't suppose you know the name of his Wikipedia account, or his legal
name. . . .

yawn.  That sort of research has been going on for years.

Less interesting is the sort of trash emitted by people who don't like knowing that whatever they've read on a webpage might not be completely
accurate, and that they might have to do some of their own thinking.

regards.

At one time I had high hopes that the internet would usher in a new era of increased knowledge and reduced gullibility. Instead it seems to have simply hastened the arrival to the wrong conclusions.

There are opportunities for increased knowledge. Gullibility, though, is part of our human nature.

How many of you delve four levels deep when looking for a quick reference on something that, in the long run, you care little about? If you're not a mechanic or car enthusiast, do you look into anything and everything on how a clutch works, or every variation of four wheel drive implementations? Probably not. We don't devote time and resources into being "renaissance people". For me, I look up the answer, if it sounds reasonable, I go with it unless someone else points out a deficiency in the answer. I need a quick and dirty answer to move on to things I *do* care about.

The problem is that people will accept an answer whether it makes sense or not. We had someone once convinced that a "Laser Car Wash" cleaned cars by shooting small lasers at the car to clean it. It was something so far left field of what they're interested in and knowledgeable about that they just accepted the answer, even though there's no way such a system would be affordable (or safe enough) to use as a car washing tool.

Then again, there are those that do this intentionally, because spreading misinformation is in their best interest and they profit from it. Even schools profit, not necessarily monetarily, by keeping students from questioning what they are taught.