Howard Goldstein wrote:
Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
Michel Le Cocq wrote:
I think it's a global thunderbird 2 bug, because i have exactly the same trouble ona mac os 10.4 with a binary update.

I do not think it is exactly the same -- see below.

Howard Goldstein a écrit :
Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
Drew Sanford wrote:
> No, but I am seeing it core dump rather strangely. Each time it starts
 > up, I can open a file dialog box to save an attachment or attach a
 > file one time just fine. The second time I try to attach or save a
 > file on any start up, it crashes.

BTW: Firefox 2.0.X does the same. Use "Save Link As..." a few times in a row (2 is usually sufficient) and have a core dump.

I had this happen with Firefox 2.0.X and Thunderbird 2.0.0 that I compiled myself as well as with this one (on 6.2-RELEASE): ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/www/firefox-2.0.0.3,1.tbz

I guess someone should file a bug report...

Looks like the same problem at ports/105589, perhaps it needs to be reopened, seems to be the same problem. Haven't tried the workaround. Not sure how to do that on someone else's gnats. (cc to the gnats person who closed it)

After reading the discussion in the PR, I renamed libgnome-2.so.0 and tried again: no crashes with Firefox 2.0.3 or Thunderbird 2.0.0. I do run KDE -- I probably should compile Firefox and Thunderbird without the gnome dependencies to solve it for me.

I wish I'd googled for KDE along with this as the problem was apparently fixed once for KDE, although for some reason came back again now for some of us. Here's a link to the very same bug along with a fix that was targeted only for KDE

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2006-December/016299.html

Based on your find Jan it's fairly simple to workaround this in the 2.0.0.0 Makefile by disabling gnomeui and gnomevfs linkages. Here's my diff which also includes tiny cruft disabling ldap during the build since I can't build an LDAPable thunderbird2 on my system.

(before the diff, following up, reverting CFLAGS to -O -pipe and the default CPUTYPE didn't help, neither did installing gnome2)

*** mail/thunderbird/Makefile.orig      Fri Apr 27 18:00:27 2007
--- mail/thunderbird/Makefile   Fri Apr 27 19:15:58 2007
***************
*** 17,23 ****
  COMMENT=      Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail and news that stands
above
CONFLICTS= lightning-0.[0-9]*
! WANT_GNOME=   yes
  ALL_TARGET=   default
  CONFIGURE_ENV=        LOCALBASE=${LOCALBASE}
  HAS_CONFIGURE=        yes
--- 17,25 ----
  COMMENT=      Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail and news that stands
above
CONFLICTS= lightning-0.[0-9]*
! #hgWANT_GNOME=        yes
! WANT_GNOME=   no
! #hg
  ALL_TARGET=   default
  CONFIGURE_ENV=        LOCALBASE=${LOCALBASE}
  HAS_CONFIGURE=        yes
***************
*** 31,36 ****
--- 33,41 ----
  MOZ_GRAPHICS= default,-xbm
  MOZ_OPTIONS=  --enable-single-profile --disable-profilesharing        \
                --enable-application=mail --enable-official-branding
+ #hg
+ MOZ_OPTIONS+= --disable-ldap  --disable-gnomeui --disable-gnomevfs
+ #hg
  MOZ_MK_OPTIONS=       MOZ_MOZ_THUNDERBIRD=1
  MOZ_EXPORT=   MOZ_THUNDERBIRD=1

Based on someone's comments about OSX though, there might be an issue with the underlying base system or kernel in FreeBSD <6.2 that Thunderbird 2 unearths, dealing with filesystem handling, threading, linking, or something along those lines (I know, that really doesn't narrow down the list). It should be a core component though because Thunderbird under OSX doesn't have any GTK or X11 support compiled in and is natively run under Aqua.

I'll look for the core dump sent previously, but if more people can contribute their core dumps this would help isolate the issue. The bigger (and compressed) the better, as long as you don't have sensitive data hanging around in the background. This might just help capture the problem at hand.

Hardware specs and CPUTYPE, as well as whether or not you're running a custom or generic kernel with what options would help as well. Please link off site if you can.

After that maybe we should all band together and submit a bug report.

Now let me see if I can reproduce it on my iBook :).

Thanks,
-Garrett