Andriy Babiy wrote:
I am debugging a (seemingly) KDE-related problem on a FreeBSD laptop.
The version of FreeBSD is 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #0. I am starting in in
debug mode. It is using kdm as a login screen. The corresponding line
in /etc/ttys is

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

The problem is: when I type the username and password and try to login
it returns me to the login screen again.
What are the contents of your ~/.xsession? Check ~/.xsession-errors as
well.

Do you use alpha-numeric symbols only in your password? The keyboard layout in kde might be different, so the same keys can generate different input. Try something simple and see if it works.

Andriy

I'm using kdm ok with the line in /etc/ttys
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm"   xterm   on   secure

Ivan