"oscar wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >From: Lowell Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "oscar wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: system refuse to mount CDROMs from ordinary users
> >Date: 23 Jan 2003 17:51:03 -0500
> >
> >"oscar wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > my system refuses to mount remobable medias as  floppies and CDROMs,
> > >
> > > tells me this:
> > >
> > > %mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
> > > cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted
> > > %
> >
> ><other information snipped>
> >
> >Looks like the user doesn't own /cdrom.
>
> thanks for RE:
>
> great! works now, but... how can i share with other normal users (not
> only marcus) /cdrom owner WAS root and group
> WAS wheel,  if group and ownership changes to marcus only root and
> marcus can use  cdrom,

Yes.  That's a feature, not a bug:  it means the person mounting the
device has control of the permissions on the base of the mounted
filesystem.

There are a number of common approaches, but the two most common are
to either have the users mount the devices within their own
filesystems, or use fbtab(5) (or Xsetup, etc., as appropriate) to give
the console user the ownership of /cdrom.