On 28/04/07, Graham North <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I ran the df command last night to check slice sizes in anticipation of
doing some backup and eventual tranfer to a new machine.
The output gave me not just normal slices that were created at install
but also three additional (mount points?)
/proc
/net
/host

The machine is a simple web server and print server with little else on
it.   Can some explain to me (or point me to) an explanation of mount
points?

Filesystem      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a       1012974    36926   895012     4%    /
devfs                   1        1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad2s1d       5616214   716542  4450376    14%    /home
/dev/ad0s1e       1012974    22352   909586     2%    /tmp
. . .

Mount points are merely directories where devices
are mounted as part of the filesystem.  These can be
automatically mounted by a listing in /etc/fstab or manually
mounted using /sbin/mount.  That they show up in df's
listing means that something is in fact mounted on it.

Typing "mount" at a command prompt will give you a listing
of mounted devices like so:

/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad2s1d on /home (ufs, NFS exported, local, nosuid, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
. . .

As none of those above (/proc /net /host) are part of the
standard layout (Well, /proc was on 4.x and earlier) some-
one at some time has added them.