On Apr 25, 2007, at 6:23 AMApr 25, 2007, Andreas Wider√łe Andersen wrote:

On 4/25/07, Oliver Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 11:11:07AM +0200, Andreas Widere Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
> On one of my FreeBSD servers all system emails to root is stored in the
root
> mailbox under /var/mail/root. I have updated my alias file so new mail
is
> forwarded to one of my email adresses, but is there a simple way for me
> send all these old mails in root's mailbox to my email address without
> logging in through pop3/imap?
>
> A command line trick would be perfect.

mutt is your friend.

Open the mbox file with
          # mutt -R -f /var/mail/root

Then Tag all mails (press 'T' then enter '.') and bounce the tagged
messages (press ';' and thenn 'b') to your personal email address.

That's the easiest way I know.
(Of course you need a running MTA, too)

Thanks for your reply. I don't have mutt installed and I was hoping for a way of doing this without installing additional software. Also, I didn't mention that on one of the machines there are probably a year of emails so
the box is quite large.

Any other ways? I have sendmail installed and running.

Cheers,
Andreas

Andreas,

Edit /etc/mail/aliases and uncomment the root: line and make it look like:

root:  <your_username>

Where <your_username> is the local account and/or email address you want to recieve root email.

Save the file, while in the /etc/mail directory, run 'make install && make restart' as root, without the quotes. all email will now go to the new address.