On Apr 29, 2007, at 4:00 AMApr 29, 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

If the monitoring system notices something down, I have to know about
it within a few minutes. I cannot wait for the mailserver that sends the
page out to retry sending the page to the cell carrier's mailserver
in an hour.

Things go down rarely. The moonitoring system is not continually sending out pages to my cell phone every day. Many times many months will pass
in between the monitoring system sending my cell phone a page.  If the
cell phone company was running greylisting, any whitelist entry for my
monitoring system would be gone by then.

Even if it does take an hour, the fact that it retried the server on
the other side doing the greylisting means it would be whitelisted
after a couple mails.

But the whitelist would have expired by the next time there was a problem.

If you're doing something SO critical that
three or four mails delayed an hour, until you're establishes as a
legit user, means life or death, you definitely should be doing
something that backs up how you communicate with other sites,

I'm monitoring systems at the ISP I work at. No, it is not life or death
if a feed goes down for 3 hours and a bunch of people cannot download
their daily freebsd-questions mailing list fix. At least, I don't think
so.  But they do.  And as their money that buys the ISP's product puts
the bread on my table, I have to do what they want. And they want instant response if there is a problem in the ISP's systems. That won't happen if the monitoring system's e-mails that get sent out when there is a problem
lie around in a mail queue for an hour waiting for a greylist at the
cell company to let the messages through.

My ISP has a FreeBSD with a GSM modem with text messaging service. They send actual text messages across the cellular network - instantly. No email required. Perhaps you folks could do that?