On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Victor Engmark wrote:
> I'm trying to create a pristine xorg.conf, but I've been unable to
> find proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh for my Dell Latitude
> D610.
>
> I've tried the values presented in MonitorsDB
> <http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/src/hwdata/MonitorsDB?view=markup
>
> for "Dell 1400x1050 Laptop Display Panel", which are HorizSync
> 31.5-90.0 and VertRefresh 59.0-75.0, but I get a warning in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log for both of them saying they are "not within DDC
> ranges."
>
> I've tried looking around the Dell web pages, but I haven't found any
> pages mentioning these parameters (not too surprising, really).
>
> I've tried to leave these settings out, but even then I get a warning:
> (WW) I810(0): config file hsync range 60-66.3158kHz not within DDC hsync
> ranges.
>
> I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the other warnings I get
> during startup:
> (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
> and
> (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.
>
> It seems that a DDC (or, apparently, DDS) query should be able to
> determine these numbers, but
> cd /usr/ports && make search name=ddc && make search name=dds
> doesn't give any tools to deal with this.
>
> The relevant part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier   "Dell Latitude D610 monitor"
> VendorName   "SEC"
> ModelName    "3450"
> # From Xorg.0.log
> DisplaySize  286 214
> Option       "DPMS"
> EndSection

Get the info off any labels you might find on your monitor and go to:
www.monitorworld.com

You might get lucky

Thanks, but no luck. There are no labels (it's a laptop screen), and the
Dell product
page<http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=R6313>doesn't
provide any useful information. Too bad MonitorWorld doesn't
allow indexing <http://monitorworld.com/robots.txt>, or it would actually be
searchable (their search sucks).

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds