2007/4/30, WarrenHead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi list,

I want to connect X from my Ubuntu machine to my local FreeBSD machine,
through ssh.
Sofar ssh and X are working, but Gnome/GDM/Metacity seem to have issues.
I really wonder whether this has something to do with the fact that on
Ubuntu I also have Gnome running.

Anyway, when I log into FreeBSD and start gnome-session, this is what I
get on the console:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/celeron2.lan:/tmp/.ICE-unix/34272
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display "localhost:10.0" already has
a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current
window manager.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display "localhost:10.0" already has
a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current
window manager.

** (gnome-panel:34290): WARNING **: Failed to authenticate with GDM
^C

What I see happening is an error window coming up on screen, saying that
the Gnome-Settings daemon failed.

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The last error message was:

Process /usr/local/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon exited with status 1

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

After that the standard gnome loading panel comes up in front of
me(sometimes), loading 'The Panel' and such, after which I see my top
Ubuntu gnome menubar change into the FreeBSD gnome menubar.
When I click on items in the top menubar I do see the FreeBSD
menuoptions and I can start programs, but I still see my Ubuntu
background, bottom menubar and Ubuntu programs running.

In other words, both gnome's seem to be working at the same time, but
not very well together.

It's the first time I am working with remote X through SSH. RDP and VNC
are the things I am more used to. So I am sorry if I am making stupid
n00b mistakes, but yes, I am sure I am missing something totally obvious.
I do read (with Google) that there is confusion about XDMCP versus X
through SSH. I definitely want only the latter and have not enabled
XDMCP. (consciously)

So, what strikes me as very odd:
GDM is allowing tcp connections and I get gnome on screen, but the error
message says that I could not be authenticated. UID problem? Username
and password are the same.

Cheers, Warren

Hi list,

I noticed that only these output lines are related to connecting from my
ubuntu machine;
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display "localhost:10.0" already has
a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current
window manager.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display "localhost:10.0" already has
a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current
window manager.

I just used a windows machine with Xming and that worked fine, except for
the GDM message about not being authenticated.

So, does this give anybody a clue as to what is malconfigured?

Cheers, Warren