Gary Kline wrote:
        Guys,

        This is a bit off-topic, but maybe somebody out there can give me
        someclues.  Bearing in mind that I know zip about music
        composition, is there a MIDI (or mp3 or other) toolkit that would
generate short background slices of music?
        Say that I wanted some jazzy melody for several seconds.  This
        application would generate it.  Or a classical tune.  Last night
        I found a possibly MIDI app for Windows; there were several that
        Google found that  mentioned Linux but nothing panned out.

        Anybod know?

        gary

Check out audacity. It does MP3/WAV generation.
-Garrett