Hello List,

I am installing FreeBSD 6.2 on a DELL 2900 with a PERC 5i controller. There are three 750GB SATA drives using Hardware Raid 5. When I try to install FreeBSD I get errors when fdisking the drive. I have never had that problem with FreeBSD so I don't know what to do. Of course I have never had the opportunity to install FreeBSD on this kind of hardware.

I first thought maybe it was because I was using a FreeBSD x86 install CD. But the system has a Quad Zeon and that is a 64bit chip right? So I downloaded the X86-64 (The one that says AMD64. I read the docs on that and on ia64 and I think I chose the correct CD). However I still get the same problem.

I realize it was dumb for me to think it was due to the architecture. But I was kind of grasping at straws. Dell claims they don't support FreeBSD. And I have read on the list just yesterday that you either get lucky or not when using Dell and FreeBSD.

This is a test box at home for messing around. So I can do anything to the system. Reinstall or what ever. My goal was to install FreeBSD and then the VMware server port and use it as a lab/firewall for my internal network.

The funny thing is I can fdisk the drive auto create the /, /swap, / temp, /var, /usr and just keep going no biggie. The system installs fine and boots and is doing a cvsup as we speak. So I don't even know if I should worry about it.

Thanks for any input. The FreeBSD list has always been a great help. So again thanks in advance.