On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> On May 9, 2007, at 6:09 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:09:09PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>
> >>    I asked somebody directly, but I may as well ask the entire list.
> >>    I'm looking for a video-card.   The more recent mobo's (like the
> >>    i815) have them builtin.  My 750MHz machine uses the SRAM for
> >>    its v-RAM.  My old Kayaks came with Matrox Millennium 8MB video
> >>    card that give me Plenty of resolution under xorg.  I just did a
> >>    web search and find an "AGP" card for seriously cheap with 256MB
> >>    of memory.  It's an "eVGA e-GeForce FX5500"   Whatever!
> >>
> >>    I'm no gamer (but just-might-wanna play some auto racing games).
> >>    All I care about is a) that the card fits by KVM plug with a
> >>    three-row pinout, and of course, b), that FBSD has a driver for
> >>    this card.   ....All of my computers have this 3-row male pin,
> >>    so need a 3-row female jack/socket.
> >>

> >     Ok, I found the type of connnector or jack or socket I need.
> >     It is an HD15 "15 pin high denisity D-SUB female connector" with
> >     sockets 1 to 5 on the first row, 6 thru 10, 2nd, 11 to 15 on the
> >     bottom.  This on http://pinouts.ru.  VGA.
> >
> >     I'll google aroubd further, but still would be much obliged for
> >     input from anybody ... .
> >
> >     gary
> >

> Gary,
>
> Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard
> VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an
> additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your
> local Radio Shack.
>
> HTH

        It does help, thanks, Eric.  I may have missed the cord adaptor
        that was stuck in the box.  Need help to open/check.  Meanwhile,
        I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
        of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
        sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
        yes, no, other? :-)

        Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
        display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously
        upscale?  I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
        of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
        AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
        kinds of very high end cards?

        thanks again,

        gary

        PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
             EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
             lazy; I'm fessing up!  ....