From: "Gary Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
On May 9, 2007, at 6:09 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:

>On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:09:09PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>>
>> I asked somebody directly, but I may as well ask the entire list.
>> I'm looking for a video-card.   The more recent mobo's (like the
>> i815) have them builtin.  My 750MHz machine uses the SRAM for
>> its v-RAM.  My old Kayaks came with Matrox Millennium 8MB video
>> card that give me Plenty of resolution under xorg.  I just did a
>> web search and find an "AGP" card for seriously cheap with 256MB
>> of memory.  It's an "eVGA e-GeForce FX5500"   Whatever!
>>
>> I'm no gamer (but just-might-wanna play some auto racing games).
>> All I care about is a) that the card fits by KVM plug with a
>> three-row pinout, and of course, b), that FBSD has a driver for
>> this card.   ....All of my computers have this 3-row male pin,
>> so need a 3-row female jack/socket.
>>

> Ok, I found the type of connnector or jack or socket I need.
> It is an HD15 "15 pin high denisity D-SUB female connector" with
> sockets 1 to 5 on the first row, 6 thru 10, 2nd, 11 to 15 on the
> bottom.  This on http://pinouts.ru.  VGA.
>
> I'll google aroubd further, but still would be much obliged for
> input from anybody ... .
>
> gary

Gary,

Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your local Radio Shack.

HTH

It does help, thanks, Eric. I may have missed the cord adaptor that was stuck in the box. Need help to open/check. Meanwhile, I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
yes, no, other? :-)

It is not a cord adapter. It is a solid piece not much bigger than
the connector on the end of a VGA cord.

Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously upscale? I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
kinds of very high end cards?

VGA should work fine as long as your cables are short (10' - 15' maximum
total length) and the KVM is suitable for your scan rate and scan settings.

thanks again,

gary

PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
     EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
lazy; I'm fessing up! ....

can you spell http://wikipedia.org ?
{^_^}