Eric Crist wrote:
On May 9, 2007, at 8:34 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:

Gary,

Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard
VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an
additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your
local Radio Shack.

HTH

    It does help, thanks, Eric.  I may have missed the cord adaptor
    that was stuck in the box.  Need help to open/check.  Meanwhile,
    I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
    of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
    sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
    yes, no, other? :-)

    Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
    display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously
    upscale?  I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
    of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
    AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
    kinds of very high end cards?

    thanks again,

    gary

    PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
         EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
         lazy; I'm fessing up!  ....

Gary,

A DVI connector has 3 rows of 8 pins and a set of 4 hole is a box shape next to it:

+------------------------+
|  o o o o o o o o  o|o  |
|  o o o o o o o o --+-- |
 \ o o o o o o o o  o|o /
  +--------------------+

There's also a mini-DVI format that's kinda like this:

+-----------------+
| o o o o o o o o||
| o o o o o o o o||

I'm sure you know what a VGA connector looks like, so I won't draw that for you. ;)

At work, we're using the GeForce 7600 GS AGP cards, which have 256MB of RAM and dual DVI output. We're using the FreeBSD Binary driver (available in ports) and running dual monitors with full Open GL support pretty seamlessly. I'd recommend that setup to anyone. It's a feature called Twinview which allows your desktop to span multiple monitors, and most programs that support xinerama(sp?) are 'aware' of the physical border between monitors, so you don't end up with windows popping up spanning both monitors. (i.e. maximize doesn't cross both monitors, just one).

HTH

Eric Crist

Eric,
That's one flavor of DVI; memory serves me correctly there were 2: I-DVI and some other kind (I think the one you have pictured above is I-DVI). I gave my old box to Gary, it's an HDMI ATI 7000 series card, and the card has an HDMI to Dual VGA plug along with it. I forgot that all the items were still in the box (did that to ensure that everything was put in the box and made it through shipping all right). Anyhow, getting back to the video thing at hand, if Gary was to purchase a card he should purchase an nVidia card. It's the only brand with OpenGL support properly enabled in Linux and FreeBSD. 5000-6000 series would be sufficient.
-Garrett