I've been happily using latex, pdflatex and context for five years now.
Now, because a port complains for the absence of a psfonts.sty file
which seems to be presente in the latex port I tried to install this
port BUT
I can't make head or tail of the fact that if I try to install
the port /usr/ports/print/latex while teTeX-base & teTeX-texmf are
installed they conflict

stat# make install
===>  Installing for
latex2e-2003.12_1

===>  latex2e-2003.12_1 conflicts with installed
package(s):
      teTeX-base-3.0_10
      teTeX-texmf-3.0_5

      They
install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with
pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/latex.

Why
is that? I thought that latex was part of/ a subset of  the wider teTeX
port, therefore there's no reason why they should conflict. Isn't that
true OR  or is latex  considered a different port/code with different
libs and executable?

Please clarify this point.