On Fri, 11 May 2007, Andrew Falanga wrote:

Hi,

Many thanks to Eric for pointing me in the correct direction with
Wireshark and Ethereal.  Interestingly, I couldn't find the directory
(or the port) for wireshark on my system but did find the references
to it on www.freshports.org.  So, I downloaded the pre-compiled
package for wireshark from freebsd.org and installed wireshark that
way.

Now, when I try to start the program, I get the following error message:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libnetsnmp.so.10" not found,
required by "wireshark"

I know that this error is coming from the linker.  However, I'm not
sure how to fix it because I checked and the net-snmp port is loaded
on my system.  How do I get this shared object so that I can use
wireshark?

By the way, I didn't do a force install even if some dependencies are
absent.  I simply did pkg_add wireshare-xxxxxxx.  I actually had to
install a few extra packages that were lacking on my system for the
pkg_add to work.

I can't offer feedback on any of the questions. However, I see wireshark in the ports tree here:

  /usr/ports/net/wireshark