> Are you seeing this same problem on both the Promise and the Silicon
> Image?

No; with the Silicon Image I am getting the timeouts that "everyone"
else is getting (google("freebsd sil3112 timeout").

> Have you tried a different brand of disk?  Some combinations of
> controller and disk don't work correctly.

With the Silicon Image I saw it with both Seagate and Maxtor. With the
Promise I am not sure; might have been the Maxtor once or twice, but
only the seagate when I triggered the bug on purpose (didn't try the
Maxtor).

> If I use up a slot, I'd like at least 4 ports and NCQ.
> If FreeBSD doesn't have NCQ support yet I might just get a
> USB or FW to SATA adapter or two and wait for NCQ.

NCQ is nice but I don't *really* care. I just want something that works
at all :) Of course I would want NCQ if it was a performance critical
production system though. And AFAIK NCQ is not yet supported in FreeBSD.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org