On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:27:10PM +0200, Ernest Sales wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:14:42 +0200, Christopher Illies wrote:
>
> > The locale settings in my .login_conf are ignored:
> >
> > ; cat .login_conf
> > # $FreeBSD: src/share/skel/dot.login_conf,v 1.3 2001/06/10 17:08:53
> > # ache Exp $
> > #
> > # see login.conf(5)
> > #
> > me:\
> >         :charset=UTF-8:\
> >         :lang=en_US.UTF-8:
> >
> > ; env | egrep -i 'lang|charset'
> > LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
> > MM_CHARSET=iso-8859-1
> > ; ls -l .login_conf
> > -rw-r--r--  1 chris  chris  146 May 15 08:26 .login_conf
> > ; uname -r
> > 6.2-STABLE
> >
> > My .login_conf file is not a symlink or world writable etc. Also, an
> > identical .login_conf for another user is applied without problems.
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Christopher
>

> Did you run cap_mkdb?
>
> >From login.conf manpage:
>
>      The default /etc/login.conf shipped with FreeBSD is an out of the box
>      configuration.  Whenever changes to this, or the user's ~/.login_conf,
>      file are made, the modifications will not be picked up until
> cap_mkdb(1)
>      is used to compile the file into a database.  This database file will
>      have a .db extension and is accessed through cgetent(3).
>
> Never had to deal with ~/.login_conf files, but what cap_mkdb manpage seems
> to say
> is that you have to concatenate all sources in one run, i.e.
>
> cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf /home/user1/.login.conf /home/user2/.login.conf ...
>
> HTH
>
> Ernest

Thanks, unfortunately no success.

When I concatenate all ~/login_conf files with /etc/login.conf I get
the following warning message:
cap_mkdb: ignored duplicate: me

It did not help with my locale setting, though. Strangely, another
user account on the same computer works correctly in that respect.
Also, running cap_mkdb after changing the ~/login_conf of that user is
not neccessary for the changes to take effect.

This makes me think that there is something wrong with my user account. But
what?

Christopher